Hello! I’m three months old today. I was born September 22, 2020.
I’m Victoria (half cocker, half springer and all spaniel), and I’ve taken over writing this article today primarily because my mom is tired from working, baking up a storm to celebrate my 12-weeks of existence, and dealing with the fallout from a thing called a pandemic.
I don’t know what that last one is, but I think mom’s mostly exhausted from spending the last month at home chasing me, Victoria, a three-month old puppy!
How did we spend my quarter-year doggy birthday?
At home, of course. My new home that I was whisked off to about five weeks ago. (Check out my home coming adventure here). Thanks to that pandemic thing, I won’t be celebrating my birthday at nearby dog café Munchies Barkery or My Dog’s Café, both in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. But I hope to go there soon because Victor, the dog I’m named in honour of, generally enjoyed his time there and I think I will too. (I need to meet some puppy pals!)
Our canine celebration started with a cake.
That’s right, a Carob Chocolate Cake (affiliate link) thanks to PuppyCake, iced with yogurt frosting too. Mom doesn’t know how to make any cakes from scratch – box mixes are her thing. So, how awesome is it that PuppyCake is a company producing just what she needs to bake me, a three-month old puppy, my own birthday cake: boxed cake mixes for dogs rock.
Check out the other flavour of PuppyCake premium dog treat mixes here:
What’s a dog birthday cake without dog treat cookies?
Next up, mom looked at the lone over-ripe banana on the counter and came up with this recipe combining banana, pumpkin (apparently good for dogs) and bacon bits. Yes, real bacon bits. And if you think that combination of flavours sounds nasty, remember, I eat geese poop on our walks along the river. So nasty is my favourite flavour.
Birthday Bacon, Pumpkin and Banana Dog Treats
What You’ll Need:
1 ripe banana
1 cup of pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
3 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of packaged real bacon bits
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash banana. Add pumpkin puree. Mix.
- Add two eggs. Beat. Mix thoroughly. Add bacon. You should now have a wet mess.
- Gradually add flour forming a dough. Kneed dough with your hands forming a large ball you’ll be able to roll out.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface with a rolling pin to about ¼ inch thick or thinner. This dough will puff up a bit in the oven. Cut with your choice of shapes. NOTE: The dough will be stickier than most so flour the rolling surface more than usual, and use a cookie cutter shape with a simple design, like a circle, bone or heart.
- Place on lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes until slightly browned. Puppies like crunch, but older dogs might prefer chewy texture so bake accordingly – about 20 minutes.
- Cool and celebrate! Like most homemade dog treats, these only last a few days and a week or so in the refrigerator. But they can be easily frozen for days when the pack can get together again. Yield: 15 to 18 midsized shapes.
[…] many, I purchased a pandemic puppy (Yes, purchased. Find out why here) after losing my faithful companion and travel buddy in July of 2020. As if that year wasn’t hard […]
Love this post Victoria! I think you got this! Mom can sit back and heave the writing to you! 😊