New Year: New Look. That’s the plan for Dogtrotting.net. As we slide boldly into 2019 without fear (just kidding), I’ve got a lot of plans in store for this blog including weekly postings and an e-commerce initiative that’ll become a big announcement later. (Hint – think dog stuff).
But first, here’s a little exercise we apply to project at my day job: What will dogtrotting.net start, stop and continue this year?
This is fun. Here’s what dogtrotting.net will start doing in 2019:
Posting weekly during the winter and bi-weekly during the summer when dog-friendly fun picks up.
Each month will include at least one post about pet products, one about DYI such as pet treat recipes or crafts, and one about a dog-friendly place, accommodation and/or festival that will inspire travel plans.
- Monthly contests
- Expanded list of Canadian Dog-friendly events, fundraisers and festivals … along with an extensive list of USA Dog-friendly events and festivals. One stop for your comprehensive list of dog fun’s – and the most popular part of dogtrotting.
- Make Media Kits readily available.
- Become an Indigo Affiliate – we’ll be reviewing great Pet Books available in Canada too
Stopping seems odd to admit, but here goes: First, as a writer, blogger and content developer, one thing I will stop is dreaming about blogging full-time from home – and that’s not a cop-out. I need to make a decent full-time living to cover all life’s expenses and having a reasonably well-paying flexible job with benefits and pension is something most people dream of – so essentially, I’m already living the dream: a full-time salary and two pet blogs? Awesome.
Second, monetization is not the primary motivation of creating. “Don’t expect your creative pursuits to make you a living” is some of the best advice I gleaned from reading Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert (Amazon affiliate link). If you haven’t read Big Magic, I recommend it. It will help you stop a lot of nonsense.
Also, dogtrotting.net will stop posting guest post from those who just want link-backs. Just kidding, we’ve never done that. (And won’t).
Dogtrotting will continue to explore as many dog-friendly travel locations and events as our budget and time away from work will allow. Any suggestions, please send them our way. (See form below).
Here’s our plan for 2019:
- The Westminster Dog Show in New York City (of course) along with the annual American Dog Writers’ Luncheon
- RV Camping at any Canadian National Park – Yes, this is the year we try it.
- Dog-friendly Philadelphia – this city’s been on my list and this is the year likely during Dog Days of Summer in August
- Dog World Expo in New Jersey (back to NYC essentially)
- more popular topics such as waterfall hikes, dog-friendly beaches and RVing with pets.
- PTBO Pet Summit in Peterborough, Ontario to expand our coverage of pet health
- SuperZoo 2019 in Las Vegas … again. (Love SuperZoo – and Vegas)
- Dog Bowl in Frankenmuth, Michigan
- And speaking of Michigan… watch for our upcoming series about ultra-dog-friendly (and car-free) Mackinac Island.